Sunday 10 May 2015

Everything's Rosy



Sundays call for walks in the late afternoon sunshine, birthday waffles and a round of lemon and poppy seed cakes, especially as exam season kicks in. Thanks to two dodgy legs on two different girls, today our run was replaced by a walk and we enjoyed the river views, despite the midges. 


My housemate Amy was overwhelmed by a care package from her lovely parents – Waitrose goods to be shared (read: devoured) by us over the following weeks (read: days). I've used the lemon curd in between the cake layers, swirled in with buttercream; it cuts through the sweetness. I was all for making my own lemon curd and even had a couple of egg yolks ready in the fridge from a post-run egg white and spinach omelette. But since making curd is tricky, and we already had some, I took the easy route. 


This recipe uses ground almonds which makes the sponge a little lighter. I made the cake in thinner layers, cut out circles with a plastic cup (classic under-stocked student kitchen), and stacked them with lemon buttercream, lemon curd, and some beautiful little rose petals. My wonderful mother, perhaps atypically for a university parent, sent me off this term with a pot of petals to wish me on my way. Not practical, perhaps, but bloody well suited to me. 


To my fellow students entering exams, good luck and be well. To everyone else, probably the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment