Friday 13 February 2015

Struck by Cupid


Love it or hate it, Valentine's Day is an excuse for baking. This is also true of National Nutella Day (5th February - damn, missed it), National Banana Lovers Day (27th August), Waffle Day (debated - either 25th March or 24th August) and, of course, World Baking Day (17th May). Tenuous links to reality but great reasons to whack on an apron and whip up some batter.


This year's treats are for my dear friends, rather than (actually, as well as) the boyfriend. Good to share, no? The local cake shop in the indoor market was having a closing-down sale so I was obliged to buy some cake boxes. And then I was obliged to buy some lovely heart ribbon (not an indulgence at 55p a metre). Then I copied the lovely Oh Happy Day and made some Cupid's Arrow Cupcakes using heart-shaped Haribo (sourced at our local off licence, where they sort the different shapes into separate plastic bags), cocktail sticks and, bizarrely, the leftovers of a very cheap plastic tablecloth. Classy.



The recipe is the standard Hummingbird Bakery vanilla mix. I have both Hummingbird books at home and I love that their sponge is lighter than average, meaning that the butter cream doesn't feel so ridiculously rich. I did use to have a problem with the tops coming off though!

Lastly, the stamp is the most genius and thoughtful present from my housemate. Find one at notonthehighstreet.com.



 Delivering these beauties around town this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment