Friday 20 March 2015

Blackberry and Coconut Scones



Our final week in Durham has been blessed by the company of some wonderful ladies and gents, and I've been treated to dinner parties left, right and centre. This has meant not so much cooking for myself (although we're gradually clearing the fridge in preparation for the holidays) and, combined with dissertation work, has meant a bit of a dearth in baking adventures. Or, as Mumma Hart puts it, "Clearly you are working hard as no blogging for 9 days now???" Working hard indeed. 


The recipe comes from Pastry Affair. I followed it almost to the letter except that we didn't have quite enough coconut oil so I swapped in some dairy-free marge, keeping the whole thing vegan-friendly for my still-on-Lent housemate. It was all going swimmingly until I mixed in the blackberries, which led to an unfortunate purple Play Dough situation on my hands reminiscent of last term's attempt at a red wine glaze... The concoction of red wine and flour became turgid and very much inedible, and, despite my desperate pleas to my housemates, was left untouched. Thank goodness this recipe turned out a little better and the scones have gone down rather well. It's been a pretty treat-filled few days thanks to chocolate gifts from friends and the wonderful Mumma Hart sending up 'The Baton Library' from Hotel Chocolat, an alternative very much preferable to the good old Billy Bry!

For those of you with me here in Durham, take note that fruit is a helluva lot cheaper at the old Academy greengrocer's than in Tesco. The blackberries for today's vegan treat were three punnets for a pound!


No comments:

Post a Comment